For a long time when we heard the term “fats”, we would be sure to steer well clear of that culprit food item, because we all know that fats are bad for your health, right?
Okay sure, there are certain fats that are terrible for your health, but essential fatty acids are an absolute must, not only for optimal health but for glowing, radiant skin too!
In this article, we’ll break it down so you know more about the fats you need in your life and exactly how to get them!
Keep reading to learn more!
What are essential fatty acids?
Essential fatty acids are the good kind of fat. The kind that’s going to leave you feeling perfectly satiated, while they work their magic internally. Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are unsaturated fats that cannot be produced naturally by the body so it’s essential (excuse the pun!) to get them in through your diet.
The two types of essential fatty acids include omega 3 and omega 6. Both help to reduce inflammation in the body, however too much omega 6 may increase inflammation, as it can be found in food sources like red meat. Most people aren’t that low in omega 6 anyway so focus on really getting in your omega 3’s.
Benefits of essential fatty acids for your skin
Essential fatty acids benefit the skin in many ways and once you start adding them to your diet, you’ll be amazed at the results! Here are just a few of the wonderful skin benefits you can expect to see when starting to eat more unsaturated fats.
● Smoother, firmer skin
● Plumper skin
● Fewer breakouts
● Less redness, inflammation and flare ups
● A more hydrated skin
● A glowing complexion
● A more radiant and youthful skin
Benefits of essential fatty acids for your health
When it comes to amping up your health, you absolutely can’t go wrong by adding EFAs into your daily diet. One of the main benefits of healthy fats is their ability to reduce inflammation in the body, and since inflammation is the root cause of disease, these are fats you definitely need in your life!
Here are just a few ways EFAs benefit the health:
● Protects the heart and keeps it healthy and strong
● Lowers high blood pressure
● Enhances the absorption of certain nutrients such as Vitamin A and Vitamin D
● Supports a healthy metabolism
5 of our favorite omega 3 foods● Walnuts
● Avocados (mmm, try it smashed on toast!)
● Dark leafy greens
● Chia seeds (Chia pudding anyone?)
● Fatty fish like salmon, sardines, and anchovies (tuna is great too, just stick to the skipjack variety, which is lower in mercury. The other kind, albacore, is fine if eaten every now and then, but don’t indulge every day).
5 of our favorite omega 6 foods
● Evening primrose oil
● Pistachio nuts
● Borage oil
● Raw sunflower seeds
We hope this article has made you super excited to try EFAs for yourself! Your skin and your health will thank you!